What Is Contempt?

A party can be held in contempt of court when they fail to meet various obligations required by a court order, such as paying child support or alimony.

If you are facing a contempt of court action, also called a Rule Nisi, it is important that you take the case very seriously. Failure to properly respond can lead to serious consequences, including garnishment of wages and tax refunds, and even incarceration.

Likewise, if your ex-spouse is not abiding by the court’s order to pay child support, alimony, or perform some other duty mandated by the court order, your only relief may be to invoke the contempt powers of the court in order to force compliance.

Whether you are the party trying to enforce a prior order of the court, or trying to defend yourself from a contempt action, the attorneys at Russo, White and Keller, can help you with your case.  Call (205) 833-2589 for immediate assistance or email us today to schedule your free initial consultation.